It’s a new year! Time to pull out that remodeling list and give it a look to see which projects you will tackle this year. Getting around to doing everything you may want to do is a process, and taking things one step at a time is smart and financially savvy. Making huge decisions require planning and a tangible budget prior to getting started. It’s best to know what you are getting into to make sure you have the resources in place to get the job done.
To get started, you should do the following:
- Think about why you are remodeling. Is it to upgrade your home for a sale? Are you planning on staying in the home and you want a different aesthetic? This will determine how detailed your remodeling project may be. If you’re doing a renovation for resale, you may not allocate as much money into the budget, but if you plan on staying in your home, top-of-the-line materials and appliances will be a high priority on the list.
- Have a working budget. This is important. Factor in materials, a self-storage facility that you may need, costs of eating out and a possible hotel stay if your health will be compromised. Make sure to put in a cushion for unexpected mishaps.
- Map out your plan. This will include using magazines or sites like Pinterest to find inspiration.
- Use a calendar to get your dates in order.
- Decide on your design. Using the advice of noted bloggers can help you get to this point.
- Talk to others who have done renovations to get some ideas on contractors that may be a good fit for the job. Interview at least three to get some idea of what they can do. See if they have a portfolio of work and how knowledgeable they are.
- Check with the proper agencies to make sure your contractors are licensed and have the proper insurance.
- When moving your things into storage, finding a good self-storage facility at the right location for your area is important. Doing your research can make a huge difference.
- Take your time. Rushing through anything will get you negative results. Home remodeling projects take time. To get it right, you have to follow the process. It’s better to have a project done thoroughly and correctly instead of quick and shoddy. Don’t waste your money.
- Solicit help. Even if you have a general idea of what you want, bounce your ideas off a trusted source. You also want to look at the real estate trends on what gives the most return on your investment, whether you plan on selling or not. Things tend to change very quickly and you may get a promotion that requires you to leave. Knowing that you will recoup some of your money will is always a great incentive.
Following these tips should point you in the right direction to get that remodeling project underway. Always start smart for a big finish!